Which Sunscreens Should Be In Your Beach Bag This Summer?
Last modified: January 23, 2023
When coming to the Virginia Beach oceanfront, we all count on high SPF to protect ourselves from the damaging effects of the hot summer sun. But, is your sunscreen living up to your expectations? According to Consumer Reports, it’s time to reevaluate the brands you will use this coming beach season.
Troubling findings collected by Consumer Reports state that a whopping 43% of sunscreen sprays and lotions failed to meet the SPF rating on the label. This leaves many people wondering what kind of sunscreen they can trust. With Memorial Day Weekend on its way, kicking off the season of summer, we must know what we can safely apply to ourselves and our children for sun protection.
Luckily, we do know the brands that can be trusted. Sunscreen lotions from the brands Neutrogena and Aveeno are in the clear. Bull Frog and Trader Joe’s spray sunscreen protectants are also safe to pack in the beach bag. Another sunscreen lotion that can be applied to children with certainty of protection is Pure Sun Defense. Most of the sunscreen listed above can be purchased at any drug store, with the exception of the Trader Joe’s brand. Although these sunscreens have been deemed OK, there are other ways to protect ourselves even further. Here are 6 helpful tips to come home from the beach without any burns…
1. Wear a bucket hat or a trendy large straw hat. These types of hats do a great job protecting not only the face, but chest and shoulders as well.
2. When applying sunscreen, do so 15 minutes BEFORE sun exposure. Doing this will allow the sunscreen to penetrate the skin.
3. Always reapply sunscreen after taking a dip in the water or after excessive perspiration... Yes, even if the sunscreen label claims to be water resistant!
4. Do not be afraid to use more sunscreen. One bottle of sunscreen is not supposed to last the whole summer.
5. Use sunscreen with a 30 SPF or higher. The sun will laugh at your 15 SPF or lower attempt!
6. Invest in a large and sturdy beach umbrella. This is great for your whole gang in the sun. You will stay cool and unburned while still enjoying the outdoors.
Even though we can no longer count on some of the brands of sunscreen on the market today, there are still great brands that we can trust. We found these sunscreens to trust here. Do you have any tips to beat sunburn without the sunscreen? Leave your comments below!